Did you know that many dental issues are preventable? General dentistry and preventative care services can identify and treat tooth decay and gum disease before they become more serious and costly problems. Regular dental appointments (about once every 6 months, depending on the current health of your teeth and gums) are part of maintaining good oral health.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is general dentistry?
General dentists, also known as family dentists, are the primary dental care providers who manage your overall oral health. They can diagnose and treat common dental issues such as cavities, root canals, and gingivitis. General dentistry treatments include fillings, tooth extractions, oral cancer screenings, dental exams, and more.
What does preventative dental care include?
Preventative dental care involves treatments that help keep the teeth and gums as clean as possible to prevent disease and decay. This can include teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments, sealants, extractions, and more.
My teeth and gums are healthy, why do I need routine care?
If your teeth and gums are healthy, we want to keep it that way! Routine dental appointments are part of maintaining good oral health. Regular cleanings, exams, and treatments help prevent issues and allow your dentist to detect any conditions early on before they progress.
General Dentistry and Preventative Dental Care at Park Meadows Dental
General and preventative dental care are the pillars of professional dentistry. At our dental clinic in Medicine Hat, we provide:
- Dental Sedation – If you’re feeling nervous or anxious about your dental treatment, we can offer sedation such as laughing gas, oral sedation, or IV sedation to help you relax during the procedure. Dental sedation not only calms your nerves and makes you feel comfortable, but it will help the treatment go more smoothly.
- Oral Exam – Oral exams should be done once a year and typically follow a routine dental cleaning. With an oral exam, your dentist can identify gum disease, cavities, and developmental issues, and recommend the right treatment. Your dentist may require an X-ray during the exam.
- Dental Cleaning – Professional dental cleanings removes built-up plaque and tartar that regular brushing and flossing can’t reach. Regular cleaning typically includes polishing and a fluoride treatment to help prevent cavities.
- Family Dental – At Park Meadows Dental, we can provide dental services for everyone in the family. From toddlers to seniors, we have the expertise and knowledge to prevent and treat issues that are common with each stage.
- Children’s Dentistry – Starting your child off right with dental care helps set them up for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. During this important stage, children’s jaws and teeth are developing rapidly and we want to address potential problems early on. We make sure your child feels comfortable in the dentist’s chair and focus on building a trusting relationship between your child and our dental team.
- Mouth Guards – If you play sports or if you have a habit of grinding your teeth (also known as bruxism), you are a good candidate for a custom mouthguard. While a generic mouth guard works, a custom one is made specifically to fit the exact shape of your teeth and gums. They’re more comfortable to wear and prevent damaging your gums.
- Oral Cancer Screening – Oral cancer screening is recommended at least once a year starting at age 18. Your dentist can identify the signs and symptoms of oral cancer and recommend treatment before it spreads. Regular oral cancer screening can save your life.
- Root Canal Therapy – Root canal therapy is recommended for patients who have an extremely damaged tooth, deep decay that has gone into the roots, a faulty crown, or diseased pulp. Many people have the misconception that root canal therapy is painful – however, advancements in dentistry have made this treatment pain-free. Root canal therapy helps prevent pain that often follows tooth decay, disease, and damage.
- Periodontal Treatment – Periodontal disease is gum disease that starts off mild, known as gingivitis. When there is plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth and gums, it forms pockets of bacteria that cause gum tissue to pull away from the teeth. When left untreated, it can lead to chronic and aggressive periodontal disease. We offer professional scraping, scaling, medications, and antibiotics to treat periodontal disease.
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction – Wisdom tooth extraction is a common procedure and is done to prevent issues that can arise from impacted wisdom teeth, such as overcrowding and infection. Although your wisdom teeth may not be causing you issues now, it’s better to have them removed before they cause pain and swelling.
- Bad Breath Care – Also known as halitosis, bad breath occurs for a number of different reasons. Your dentist can determine the underlying cause of bad breath and offer the proper treatment.
- Tooth-Coloured Fillings – We’ve come a long way from silver amalgam and mercury fillings. Today’s cavity fillings blend nicely with your teeth for a subtle look while restoring the structural integrity of your tooth.
- Sealants – As the name suggests, dental sealants effectively ‘seal’ your teeth from bacteria. Sealants are typically applied to your molars, coating the surface and stopping debris from going into the enamel. Sealants are ideal for young children or if you are more susceptible to developing cavities.
- Dental Cavities – Along with tooth-coloured fillings, we can recommend other treatments and ways to prevent cavities. Some patients have an increased risk of developing cavities due to dry mouth syndrome, dental devices, acid reflux, and more. At Park Meadows Dental, we take a look at your overall health to determine what’s causing an increased risk of cavities and make personalized recommendations.
- Orthodontics and Functional Orthopedics – We offer orthodontic devices such as braces and retainers as well as functional orthopedic appliances to correct issues with the oral cavity. If you or your child have crooked teeth or a misaligned bite, talk to us about receiving orthodontic or orthopedic devices.
Get the treatment you need at Park Meadows Dental in Medicine Hat. We offer instant financing and are taking new patients.